On March 8, 1943 the North Haven Police Department was established by an Act of the Connecticut State Legislature. At that time, Joseph Castiglioni was appointed the officer-in-charge and he eventually became the first Chief of Police. On March 8, 2013, the North Haven Police Department celebrated its 70th anniversary.
Over the past seventy years, the department has had six police chiefs and currently the department is led by Chief Thomas J. McLoughlin. The department has grown from a two man department at its inception to the present day strength of forty-nine sworn officers, four civilian dispatchers, and six civilian employees.
In 2010, the police department created a Canine (K9) Unit with the adoption of Zeus, a German Shepard that is crossed trained as a patrol canine and certified in narcotics recognition. In 2012, the department expanded the Canine Unit with the addition of Koda, a Labrador Retriever certified in narcotics recognition.
In 2012, the police department expanded its long-time SWAT partnership with the North Branford Police Department to include several shoreline area police departments. During this same time, a regional traffic unit was created with these police departments for the purpose of investigating serious traffic accidents. The South Central SWAT Team and South Central Traffic Unit were created and they provide such specialized police services for six towns. This partnership is a cost effective way to maintain the manpower, equipment, and training associate with providing such services.